Thursday, June 14, 2018

My Father's Day Tribute

A father is supposed to be the first boy a girl loves. And mine was.

A father is supposed to protect and love with abandon. Mine did. And then he didn't.

I've spent many years focused on the "didn't" part. Choosing to forgive and focus on the "did" has changed my life.

I choose to remember my dad as kind and caring, because he was. I choose to remember that when he had to make a choice late in life, he chose me. He. Chose. Me.

I choose to remember how funny he was and didn't even know it.

I choose to remember how he taught me to ride a bicycle and drive a car, or actually a truck, since that's what he drove. He taught me how to love someone who is dying. He taught me the meaning of perseverance when faced with a choice of giving up. He taught me the importance of life-long friendships.

I choose to be thankful he took me to church every time the doors were open. Because of his, and my mother's faithfulness, I gave my heart to Jesus at the age of five.


I choose to remember our long talks on the back porch as he prepared to die.

I choose to remember his face as he breathed his last breath. If that's the face of looking at Jesus on the other side of eternity, then I want to follow him.

Thank you, my precious dad, for allowing me to find you again.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels