Thursday, June 17, 2021

Aging With Grace

I wrote this last year, but for some reason, didn't publish. A pandemic, possibly? For whatever reason, here it is. Maybe someone needs to be told that you are enough at whatever age you are presently. I think most women struggle with aging, and yet, these are wonderful years. The joy of watching my children flourish, find their forever mate, and make their way in the world is priceless. Spending quality time with my husband, treasured. I'm not changing any of the wording, even though it's a year later. 



I began a new decade with my last birthday. Writing those words takes my breath, and yet I’m thankful to be among the living. What is it about a number that causes us to flinch and cower, and offer apologies for how we look and feel? The Bible says, “… long life is a reward for the righteous.” It also says, “He numbers our days and writes them in His book before we ever take a breath.”

My perspective on life is influenced by Biblical principles, and faith in the One true God. I must view everything through that lens if I want peace and abundant joy. The world has its opinion and seeks to speak words into my life that don’t line up with my beliefs. The same is true of you, but you must decide who you give access to your thoughts and emotions.

Me and my mom, 1960
Because of my faith, I want to exemplify the kind of woman that sees the glass not only half full, but running over. This kind of woman exudes joy and peace, and I believe she only grows into her own skin by living a Christ centered life, and being comfortable with who God made her to be.

September, 2019
What does it mean to age gracefully, living in the light of more years before, than years remaining on the calendar? When does the focus morph into vanity, as opposed to healthy living? And what does the phrase, “fifty is the new thirty,” really mean?



There's a story between the day of my birth and the span of sixty years until now. Society, and our beliefs shape the way we react to the events in the interim years. I don't want to look back as I lie on my deathbed and regret time wasted. The lines around my eyes are from laughter, just as much as the lines between my eyes a result of stress. Each line means I'm still here, and there's still purpose for me. My mom lived only thirty-eight years, yet her life was full. Through her death she taught me that we are not promised tomorrow. I've already lived more than thirty years longer than she. 

This is my year of exploring what it means to age with grace, grow in wisdom and knowledge, and discover the path of sensible living. A dear friend remarked recently that he wants to finish strong, a goal of mine as well. I hope you will join me in this journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels