Wednesday, November 26, 2014

And Now We are Five...Meet Cameron

When children enter your world, life takes on new meaning. Strollers, diapers, and scheduled feedings give way to cheerleading, soccer and piano practice. One day you turn around and she's coming through the door waving her left hand with lots of bling.

Along the way, you've been sending prayers to heaven on her behalf. You've asked the God you love to protect her, guide her, and guard her heart. You've prayed for the direction of her career, her teachers, her friends, and her life mate.

The entire time you're praying it seems like it's, "some day."

For my little girl, "some day," came this past year.

And four became five...
Cameron waltzed into her life and swept her off her feet. It was a storybook romance. They dated a short time and married this summer. I'm now a mother-in-law...a title I hadn't prepared myself for, but am enjoying.

As the holidays are upon us we have to navigate the blending of traditions with two families for the first time.

My new son-in-law and I sat down recently for lunch and I thought I'd share some of our conversation...with his permission of course.

As I've gotten to know him better, I've come to realize he is an answer to one of the prayers for my girl. And I give thanks.

Cameron grew up in Anderson, had a similar childhood as Bailey. He describes himself as, "extremely strong willed." (For anyone reading who has a child with a similar disposition, please be encouraged by what you're about to read.) He has two older brothers and says, "I really had three daddies because of the age difference between me and my brothers." There are seven years between him and his middle brother, Timothy.

He was active in sports as a young boy. Football and wrestling were his primary sports where he was a Three-Year Letterman in Football at Westside High School earning All-Region and All-Area his senior year. He was a Four-Year Letterman in Wrestling earning All-Region and All-Area twice in his high school career. He was runner-up in the SC State Wrestling Tournament his senior year.

His oldest brother, Stephen, went to The Citadel and Cameron says by sixth grade he knew he too, wanted to follow in his brothers' footsteps and attend this prestigious school. He loved the structure and discipline of their program. He said, "If you didn't pass you were the only one to blame."

Cameron with his second love
His childhood dream was realized when he entered The Citadel as a freshman knob. Cameron knew from the day he set foot on campus there was one more goal to be accomplished...The Summerall Guards. His brother, Stephen, was part of this elite group of men. This is a strenuous, six month training program, designed to weed out the weak. Cadets are not eligible until their junior year of study. Hundreds begin, sixty-one men are chosen at the end of the training period. Their service begins the first day of their senior year with a grand ceremony, a passing of the torch from one class to another.

Not only did Cameron pass all the tests and make the Guards, but he was elected to the same position as his brother of Supply Sgt., number three in rank. They are the only brothers in Citadel history to hold this position.

Cameron said The Cidadel prepared him for life. It taught him structure, discipline and responsibility. He is also a man of great faith. He was raised in a home where discipline, faith in God, and love went hand in hand. He said his mom and dad were a team. He trusted their advice on everything.

You may ask why I tell you all these things about my new family member. Well, there are several reasons. I write about family, my faith, my journey...the struggles AND the joys. My life has been a series of pain and happiness, joy and sorrow, thankfulness and regret. I've written a lot lately about my pain. I decided it was time to rejoice in something good. Cameron has been good for Bailey. As they say to one another, "They are God's provision for each other."

If you are in the throes of parenting, don't give up or in. The days of diapers and carpools will end quickly. Be on your knees, for one day you'll be watching her walk down the aisle or come out the side door and their short life will flash before your eyes. You'll say to yourself, "Did I do everything, teach everything, did I, did I, did I?"

My advice to you now that I'm on the other side is love them and be there for them. Pray for them. Ultimately, God is their keeper. He knew the intention of my heart and He knows the intention of yours. And in those times when we can't pray, His spirit does. He utters the prayers that we are too weary and broken to pray over our children. So be faithful and He will provide what your child needs when they need it.

He did for mine.

Thanksgiving is a time to remind us to count our blessings, to draw our attention to the One who provides, who heals, who protects, who saves.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Happy Thanksgiving,
Cindy

4 comments:

  1. Love your heart, Cindy ! And love the joy the wedding picture radiates. Well done, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kit! It was a whirlwind of a summer. God is faithful! Much love!

      Delete
  2. "Ultimately God is their Keeper". Wise words from a wise woman. Thank you for reminding me as I wait for my children to pick their soul mate. Blessings ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! What a lovely compliment! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy them while they're still under your wings!

      Delete

Labels