Thursday, February 8, 2018

Plan for a Simple Life

Simplicity is my goal for this year. The glaring question that begs to be answered is how do I get there? I can get caught up in the idea of a goal without actually making any progress toward it.

As I was walking recently, my mind was sorting all the ways of a simple life. The first thing, for me personally, is being aware of how I spend my time. We all have the same amount of minutes/hours in our day. How am I managing these precious ticks on the clock?

When I cram too many things in my day my soul feels a sense of hurry. Moving from one chore or appointment to the next puts my brain on overload. And when I'm on overload mode, I become edgy, impatient, and a not so nice person to be around. I need white space in my day to be present in all I'm doing. I struggle with finding balance. You too? I thought so.

Because I live in the country, 20-30 minutes from town, I try to combine errands into one day so I don't have to make numerous trips. Planning is required, and lists are never too far from sight. Checking things off my "to do" list is fulfilling. However, if something doesn't get accomplished, it goes on a list for another day.

My desire is to allow plenty of time for cooking at home, rest, and boredom. Yes, I want to be bored. A podcast I listened to recently said our brain is most creative when allowed the freedom to wander when we're bored. Working and writing from home allow flexibility to create the kind of day to stare out the window. Stories come alive while watching birds or fluttering leaves on the trees outside the window. Walking past cows along a country road is peaceful in a way that calms anxiety and infuses joy.

In Matthew 6:26-34, Jesus said, "Look at the birds of the field..." He also said to "Consider the lilies of the field." He was one of the busiest men on the planet, yet He implored his followers to slow down and grasp the wisdom found in simple things. He taught us how to live a stress free life if only we'd listen and apply His words. As a living example He made time to slip away to a quiet place to pray to His Father. How much more should we do the same?

Eliminating hurry reminds me to be present for the unexpected visit from a neighbor, a phone call from someone in need, or an impromptu coffee date.

As much as I love being available to those I love, I must also protect my working time. There are many things I enjoy, but work is important, and something I'm responsible for.

A simple life doesn't just happen. Every decision must be filtered through the lens of keeping it simple, because if I've learned anything at all about myself, it's that a complicated life steals my joy. I don't want to wake up one day with a heavy heart because of a lifetime of regrets.

So I plan and dream, stare out the window, take long walks, and my soul is refreshed to do the most important things in life. It helps me love simply, live simply, and serve simply, even on the busiest of days.

More to come on living simply...






2 comments:

  1. You paint a beautiful picture of serenity, Cindy. I long for more of these kind of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! You'll get there friend. Keep seeking the Lord and He'll make your days full of peace.:)

      Delete

Labels