This is a holy time of year for me, but it's also another day in an ordinary life and stuff happens. People die, my mom did, and yours have too. It hurts and the painful reminders of loss and deep wounds are reopened. Be tender to the heartache of others as you celebrate the most blessed time of year.
I propose my list of Christmas do's to help you in this last week before the big day. They're not earth shattering, but they help me, and maybe they'll help you if you are one of those people who've had a visit from Uncle Scrooge.
1. Get thee into the kitchen and whip up something delicious, not for yourself, but to give away. You will bring delight to the recipient and the flip side is they will love seeing you all year long.
2. Find a church musical program to attend. Music makes the heart happy. Worship is a direct line to our source of true happiness, and will make your Christmas jollier than Santa ever could.
3. Get out to your local mall, not for shopping, but for people watching. Enjoy the sights and sounds of children and mall music. Get a coffee and sit near Santa. It's sure to bring smiles and may even conjure a memory or two.
4. Spend time with people you love. It's not about presents friends, it's about people. Jesus wasn't born for presents, He was born for flesh and blood. Invite people into your home. It doesn't have to be fancy and your home doesn't have to be spotless. One of my dearest friends is having a small gathering tonight after our choir program. She'll provide light snacks and lively conversation and I know it will be a sweet time for those who attend.
5. My last suggestion is put away social media, after you read this of course. Shut it down. Limit your social media time in the very least. Stop comparing your Christmas experience with everything you read on Facebook/Instagram/Pinterest. Did I say that? Yes, we all do it. We think he or she has it all together, when the truth is, we all try to put the best we have out there. Everyone has "stuff," so don't think you are alone in yours. Just get off social media for a time and enjoy the Christmas God has blessed you with.
The best Christmas we could ever have is the one we honor and adore the Savior of the world. We have a holy God who came to earth as a baby and was given the name above every name...Jesus.
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
and being found in appearance as a man,
He humbled Himself and became obedient to death
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted Him to the Highest place
and gave Him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus
every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
P.S. If you live in the Anderson, SC area and are looking for a place to worship, please join us tonight, Dec. 20th at 6:30 p.m. and Dec. 21st at 7 p.m. for our annual Carols by Candlelight. It's a beautiful time of worship with choir, praise team, orchestra and handbells. Yours truly will be ringing. Please join us!