Friday, January 15, 2016

Lessons from a Sheep...The Secret to Contentment

Do you know what it's like to live an "I want" lifestyle?

If you're not this kind of person, you know someone who is; the kind of person who is never satisfied with what they have or who they are.

We all have some degree of want in us. If we didn't, we'd lie around like fat cats all day waiting for our next meal to be presented on a silver platter.

God planted a seed of motivation in our DNA so we'd rise from our beds each morning and face the day, even when our want may have went somewhere else. There's another kind of want that leads to discontent, that usually leads to trouble, that leads to wandering...far.

I was reading in Jesus Calling, "Be content to be a simple sheep, listening to my voice and following me..."

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
He leads me beside quiet waters, 
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His names' sake.
Psalm 23:1-3

I've been in want in my life. There were times I didn't know where food and shelter were coming from, but He always provided.

There are few things the body and soul really need: clothing, shelter, love, and purpose.

Have you found yourself caught in the hustle of life, the hustle of more and better? Are you discontent in all you do, seeking the "I want" lifestyle and finding there is no peace, no satisfaction?

May I suggest the lifestyle of a simple sheep? There is quiet and calm, even when trouble is nearby. The Shepherd will care for your needs and you will never be in true want. He will make you lie down in green pastures and restore your soul.

I wouldn't mind a rest in a nice green spot, and a little soul restoration sounds mighty pleasant.

And then...He sets my wandering feet back on the right path. 

Life may not be easy, but there's peace, even in the midst of a storm. 

It begins with listening; taking the focus off yourself and your wants. The end result is your wants will be satisfied. He promised and He never breaks a promise. You'll wake up one day in the midst of that green pasture and realize your wants have changed, and it began with being a contented sheep.


Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels