The older I get, the more I treasure the days I have left. Does that sound corny? That's my stage of life. I'm a retrospective person, and yet I ponder the future and how to make the most of the days ahead. Not wanting to waste a single moment, I need to celebrate the here and now. My soul needs a break from worrying about the unknown, and a reminder of the blessings of my life or I will implode.
My tender heart gets broken way too often, and though I know the Word says, "cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you...," I try to carry my own load. Maybe you fall into the same trap as me.
I'm choosing to be thankful in this season we focus on the blessings of our God. It goes without saying I'm thankful for my salvation, my family, my church, and friends. These are the extra gifts from the hand of my Provider. He knows my needs better than I do, and surprises me when I'm at my weakest. As you read my list, have a go at writing your own list of thankfuls. It does wonders for your soul, and it may bless someone else as you share.
These are in no particular order of importance...just random thoughts gathered over a steaming cup of tea on a cool, November morning.
1. Crisp, fall days.
2. Winesap apples.
3. Bringing out my worn jeans. We're like old friends.
4. Long walks where I don't drip sweat.
5. Two-for-one lattes at Starbucks.
6. Dark-thirty = Permission to read.
7. Sweatshirts and sweaters, need I say more?
8. November elections are over.
9. Friends who stick closer than family.
10. Pictures of West Virginia family on Facebook. I miss them so much.
11. Opportunities to love the needy.
12. Making new friends where age isn't a factor.
13. Answered prayer.
14. Doing the hard thing.
15. Celebrating God's goodness and faithfulness.
16. Ladies I serve with in missions.
17. Ladies I study the Bible with on Friday mornings.
18. Pets who bring comfort and companionship.
19. Sunday walks with a treasured friend.
20. Contrast of orange and yellow leaves against a Carolina blue sky...breathtaking.
21. Pansies and pumpkins.
22. The long inhale and exhale of rest.
23. The anticipation of upcoming celebrations.
24. Coffee dates.
25. Tea parties.
26. Music that speaks to my soul.
27. Sitting around a fire pit with friends.
28. Second chances.
29. Writing the words my lips cannot utter.
30. Gift of family.
What are the gifts you've been given? We all have them, even if we've been blinded by loss, pain, illness, financial ruin, or our own poor choices. Thanksgiving is the perfect time for do overs. It's the time of year to stop, and realign priorities, to think of someone other than yourself. It's a time for giving thanks for all you've been given, and then giving to others out of your bounty.
This is my favorite time of year. I love an excuse to slow the rhythm of life. My natural inclination lends itself to pondering the goodness of my Creator. Long walks with leaves crunching beneath my feet while a steaming cup of coffee or tea awaits is my happy place. I'm a simple person and it doesn't take much to keep me content. Take time to enjoy the next few days before the hustle of Christmas sucks the joy out of your days of thankfulness. Look into the faces of those sitting around your table. Have meaningful conversation without the distraction of technology. Love one another, for they are your greatest gifts.
Happy Thanksgiving Friends!
- 2014 or 1814 (1)
- 30 Days of Thankfuls (1)
- A Birthday to Remember...But No Tears This Year (1)
- A Blog Hop: My Writing Process (1)
- A Dock For Dreaming (1)
- A Life Detour (1)
- A Life is Worth A Thousand Gifts (1)
- A Little Five-Letter Word (1)
- A Look Back...My Year of Grace (1)
- A Million Little Ways (2)
- A Season of Waiting (1)
- Adoption (7)
- Adventures (2)
- Aging (1)
- Allume (1)
- Amanda Bacon (1)
- Amber C. Haines (1)
- An Early Christmas...The Unexpected Gift (1)
- And Now We Are Five (1)
- and Reduction for 2017 (1)
- and Then There is Rest (1)
- Anne Bogel (1)
- Annie Downs (1)
- Beach (8)
- Beauty in the Broken (1)
- Bible (2)
- Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove (1)
- Birds (3)
- Birthday Ponderings...Chosen To Be Loved (1)
- Blogging (3)
- Books (8)
- brokenness (2)
- Cats (2)
- Christian Learning Centers of the Upstate (2)
- Christmas (7)
- Cindy O'Brien (123)
- contentment (1)
- Dear Dad...What My Father's Day Card Would Say Today (1)
- Decluttering (1)
- Decluttering for the Home (1)
- Detour (1)
- Downton Abbey (1)
- Dreams (1)
- Easter (1)
- Eden and America…Any Similarities? (1)
- election 2016 (1)
- Emily P. Freeman (3)
- Emily Whaley (1)
- Empty Nest (5)
- Encouragement (35)
- Faith (6)
- faithfulness (1)
- Family (24)
- Father's Day (1)
- Fear (1)
- Fishing (1)
- Five Ways to Have Your Best Christmas Ever (1)
- Forgiveness (4)
- freedom (1)
- Friends...Then and Now (1)
- Friendship (12)
- Fun in The Son...Beach Reflections (1)
- Gardening (1)
- Getting it Right at Turtle Speed (1)
- Giving Hope in the Shadows (1)
- Giving Thanks...To An Unseen Guest (1)
- Governor Mike Huckabee (1)
- Grace (1)
- Guatemala (1)
- Guest Post: He Calls Us His (1)
- Heart and Soul (1)
- Holley Gerth (1)
- How I've Learned to Have a Good Day (1)
- I Wonder What Her Dreams Were? (1)
- If Teacups Could Talk (1)
- If Teacups Were Women (1)
- Infertility (1)
- Introvert (1)
- Janet Huckabee (1)
- Jesus (13)
- Journey (4)
- Just Me and the Critters (1)
- Killing the Fear Monster (1)
- Laughter (1)
- Learning to Keep it Simple (1)
- Lessons from a Sheep (1)
- Let All Creation Roar (1)
- Living Loud Inside My Head (1)
- Ma Bailey (1)
- Megan Tietz (1)
- Mentoring (1)
- Messy Life (1)
- Missions (7)
- Mom (2)
- Mother's Day (1)
- Motherhood (7)
- My Journey Through the Classics (1)
- My Little Corner (123)
- My Love of Words and The New Year (1)
- My Treasure At The End Of The Rainbow (1)
- New York City of All Places (1)
- Parenting (8)
- Podcasts (1)
- Pondering Life...To Choose or Not to Choose (1)
- Power of Words (4)
- Prodigals (1)
- Psalms For The Soul (1)
- Ragamuffin Tea (1)
- Rainy Days (2)
- Reading (2)
- Reflections on Hartford...A New Awakening (1)
- Released Time (1)
- Renewal (1)
- Rest (2)
- Revival (1)
- Ruts (1)
- Seasons (4)
- service (1)
- Sharon Randall (1)
- She Speaks (1)
- Sheep (2)
- Simple Christmas (1)
- Simple Living (2)
- Sittin' on the Dock at the Lake (1)
- So What Happens Next? (1)
- Sole Hope (1)
- Sole Hope Spells Love (1)
- Solitude (1)
- Spring (1)
- Tea (5)
- Tea Time (1)
- Thanksgiving (2)
- The Citadel (1)
- The Classics (1)
- The Cove (1)
- The Greatest Tattoo Artist (1)
- The Grove Bed and Breakfast (1)
- The Miracle of Adoption (4)
- The Purpose Driven Fisherman (1)
- The Secret to Contentment (1)
- The Shoes (1)
- The Unexpected Gift...The Sequel (1)
- There is Rest (1)
- This One's For You...Katy (1)
- Time For Tea Anyone? (1)
- Train Up A Child (1)
- trust (4)
- Tsh Oxenreider (1)
- Turkeys (1)
- Two Years Later (1)
- Unto Us A Son Is Given (1)
- West Virginia (7)
- What Do You Love (1)
- What I Learned in January 2017 (1)
- What I Would Say To A Younger Me (1)
- What I'm Reading Lately (1)
- What the Red Cup Will Never Take Away (1)
- What You May Not Know About Me (1)
- When a Dog Reminded Me Not To Be Anxious (1)
- When A Simple Christmas Wasn't Enough (1)
- When Bad Things Happen Be Thankful (1)
- When He Calmed the Child Instead of the Storm (1)
- When Hope Healed Broken and Scattered (1)
- When I Marched In Washington (1)
- When It's Time To Let Go (1)
- When Life Gets To Be Too Much...Find a Bookstore (1)
- When Life Sends You a Curve Snow Ball (1)
- When the Birds Gave Me Voice Lessons (1)
- When the Ocean Becomes the Inspiration for Your River (1)
- When the Sparrow Took Center Stage (1)
- When Two Little Boys and a Chaperon Steal Your Heart (1)
- When You Find Your Wings (1)
- When Your Heart Finds Its Home (1)
- Who or What Will You Trust (1)
- winter (1)
- Words That Heal My Bones (1)
- WorldHelp (1)
- Worship the Heart of Christmas (1)
- Writing (25)
- Writing Retreat at The Cove (2)
- You Can Go Home Again (1)