Thursday, August 17, 2017

When Peace Came in the Form of Change

I've been quiet in this space the last few months. Transition and I have been in a wrestling match. I think I can say I finally won.

Our home sold at the end of March. My address changed after more than nineteen years. I've been adjusting to a new environment, one completely different from the previous. Working on my book has also kept me occupied.

From this...
I wrote a post a couple of years ago about the dilemma of selling my house. It didn't seem possible at the time that this would become my reality, but it has.

After shedding buckets of tears, I can say it's a good thing. Life in a sub-division was exchanged for life in the country. I asked for quiet, and I got Q U I E T. Have mercy, it's heavenly. We're renting a house next door to property we own with the intention of building a much smaller house.

There is something exciting about starting over at this age. All the Pinterest saves will finally be more than just a dream. One of the best things about arriving at this stage of life is knowing myself, my decorating vision, and personal needs. Maybe you're in this stage too. I thought we'd live in my former house forever, my children would bring their children home for Sunday dinner and holidays, and life would end with me sitting on the porch with all that love wrapped around me like a warm blanket.

To this...
One of the speakers at a writing conference a few months ago shared a story about letting go of one thing for something better. She had no idea she was speaking to my heart. Since I was a young bride I held onto the dream of a forever house. I wanted to give my children the very thing that alluded me as an adult. Giving up that dream was difficult, but the right decision. Holding onto that material possession would've prevented me from the joy I've experienced.

Each morning I wake to the sound of cows in the neighboring pasture. Because we are on the lake, geese and various other birds are regular sights. Deer, bunnies, raccoons, and even armadillos are a familiar presence. A stray cat stands at the back door each morning waiting on me to feed her. The quiet sounds of nature sing over me as I sip tea from the front porch while the sun peaks over the horizon. Evenings are filled with sounds of owls hooting and doves cooing. In the distance a stray cow bellows as it finds its way back through the hole in the fence.

And this...
I would've missed the peace and simplicity of country living if I'd held onto a home that served us well, but was now a house too large for our present needs.

I'm thankful for the years we spent nurturing a family, hosting parties, sporting events, Bible studies, ladies groups, family celebrations, holiday events, and quiet nights on the back porch. Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, said it well in Ecclesiastes,
"There is a season for everything under the sun..."

He was right. There is a time for beginnings, and endings. We ended well. The next season is full of hope, a time for beginning again.

Whatever age or stage of life you may be in, change is to be expected. Solomon understood the rhythms of life and gave us permission to embrace every season under the sun. I don't want to hold onto something past its usefulness and miss the very best God has for me. Transition was gut wrenching at times, but worth every tear, every memory, every dream surrendered.

New dreams are on the horizon. And hopefully, my forever house will be as loved and used as its predecessor. It has a lot to live up to, but with time, family, and friends to share with, there's hope.

How do you process transition? Do you hesitate for fear of the unknown? I'd love to hear how you managed the waters of change. Leave a comment and share how you survived and lived to tell about a new beginning or a difficult ending. Your words of wisdom may help someone you've never met, or it may remind you to celebrate your success and blessings.




4 comments:

  1. Just reading that filled me with peace. What a beautiful picture of peace that everyone yearns for. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! That makes my heart smile. Love you!

      Delete
  2. This is great. So many of us go through transitions that we may or may not be excited about or ready for. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! Hopefully, I can encourage someone not to be afraid of transition. Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete

Labels