Friday, June 24, 2022

The Power of Words

 I have a secret to tell you­–I am a hoarder of words. Words are my love language, the icing on the cake, and the pot at the end of the rainbow. Words bring me comfort when I’m sad, joy when I’m bored or lonely, and encouragement when life is hard. 

 

Five years ago, we sold our house of nearly twenty years, and downsized to a farmhouse in the country. Due to lack of space, as well as time to pore through boxes, I stored all the memorabilia from the last thirty-five years in a storage building at my husband’s office. The time of reckoning arrived and all the containers found their way to our garage.

 

One by one I sifted through boxes of cards, letters, invitations, announcements, and other keepsakes. If you sent us a graduation announcement, wedding invitation, or thank you note in the last thirty years, it was there. If you gave me a birthday card or get well card, they were there. If you sent a note saying you were praying for me, it was there. 

 

I spent time walking down memory lane revisiting old and dear friendships through the written word. Friends that I haven’t thought of in years were brought to mind, treasured stories of my past rekindled. Many times my eyes misted when remembering those who have since passed into eternity. Those correspondences are even more precious than when they first arrived by hand or mail. I was reminded of God’s goodness to me and my family over and over.

 

The written word is a powerful thing, and shouldn’t be taken for granted. Without the written word, history is only as close as the memory of fragile and forgetful humans. We’d have no way of knowing the origin of man, previous civilizations, or the statistics of our favorite sports heroes. Obviously, there are many other things we’d have no clue about without the written account of their happening.

 

Back to my boxes…my husband says I live in the past. I disagree. I spent hours and hours sorting through evidence of a life engaged with people. We all know that life can be hard and discouraging at times. Sometimes we only remember the things that happen within a short time, and if we’re not careful, one bad thing has the power to overshadow ten good things. Rereading cards and letters brought perspective, and reminded me of how much I’m loved. Those words still have the power they held when originally sent. And in a world where bad news, angry words, and untruths bombard our minds and heart, the gentle and loving words of family and friends also has the power to heal and encourage.

 

Gracious words are like a honeycomb,

sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Proverbs 16:24 ESV

 

Write that note in your own handwriting, send a card when you hear of someone suffering pain or loss, and let your words become part of his or her history.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels