Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Rest, Writing, and Thoughts About Aging


A recent afternoon spent at The Cove, in Asheville, North Carolina was nearly perfect. Is there such a thing as perfection? There is, but not in human form. This came mighty close.

 

I’m referring to an afternoon of rest, writing, conversations with friends, and a roaring fire. This doesn’t happen often, but when it does, you stop and take notice. My life is full and fully lived, a fete difficult to achieve. 

 

Growing older is not for the faint of heart, yet it’s also allowed me the opportunity to seize these moments and treasure them. Everyone needs time away for deep thoughts, uninterrupted time with God, and time to ponder life. I’ve been able to reflect on these things and have a few thoughts for those in my stage of life:

 

1.     Enjoy every day; the sun rises and sets the same for everyone. Make sure you spend your time doing something you love.

2.     Stop and play with the grands, they’ll grow too fast and you’ll regret time not spent with them. 

3.     Surround yourself with music. There’s a tune for every mood. Allow yourself walks down memory lane with your favorite oldies.

4.     Never stop learning. Knowledge is as close as your fingertips, and there’s a subject for everyone.

5.     Begin a new hobby, or hone the skills on a hobby you’ve enjoyed in the past.

6.     Nourish your friendships. Make time for those you love through scheduled dates; Lunch, coffee, a visit to a local garden, etc.

7.     Celebrate big. Every birthday, anniversary, and holiday is an opportunity to make memories. 

8.     Invest in a good study Bible, and use it. 

9.     Eat well, and exercise in whatever way your body can endure. Moving keeps you young. 

10.  Serve others. 

11.  Establish a routine that allows you to nourish your soul, body, and mind. Prioritize important things first in your day.

12.  Read, read, and read some more.


I am thankful and blessed to reach this stage of life. Only God knows the truth of this statement. He is my rock, my strength, and the song that I sing, and without Him, I am a weak, frightened little girl. He is the lifter of my head, and healer of my soul. To Him be all praise, now and forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels