Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Giving Thanks...To An Unseen Guest

Thanksgiving. A time of giving thanks...of humbling ourselves before Almighty God and acknowledging His provision in our lives.

I have wonderful childhood memories of packing up the family car, making our way north, through snow and ice to my aunt's house in Ohio. It was tradition. My mom was big on tradition, and for several years we gathered around the table with cousins, aunts, uncles and delicious food. There wasn't a lot of talk about God's provision, but in my family, it was an unspoken truth.

We began our own traditions and they have changed some through the years as our family has changed. We've had to let some things go as family members have passed on into eternity. Whenever we celebrate in our home, one practice remains–each person seated around the table must share something for which they're thankful. Not a bite of turkey can be eaten until each voice is heard. It causes us to stop and focus our attention on our provider, the giver of all good gifts.

Sometimes I forget though and stumble through life. I struggle and lose my way. My heart becomes heavy and I ask, "Lord, where are you?"

As He always does, He leads me beside quiet waters to words.

Since I was a young girl, words have been my solace, my balm, my healing salve.

This morning I was reading "Jesus Calling," preparing this post, this is part of what I read:

"A life of praise and thankfulness becomes a life filled with miracles. Instead of trying to be in control, you focus on Me and what I am doing. This is the power of praise: centering your entire being in Me. This is how I created you to live, for I made you in My own image. Enjoy abundant life by overflowing with praise and thankfulness."

Words. Powerful, life-giving words that tell us how to live with joy.

Are you looking for a miracle? Maybe you're just looking for an abundant life. The answer lies in a life of praise and thankfulness to the One who made you; the One who created you in His own image.

I'm reminding myself of these truths as much, or even more than anyone else. Give thanks, not only today, but every day for his bounty.

Look around you to see what He is doing and you'll find Him. He will be the unseen guest at your table tomorrow. You'll see Him in the faces of your loved ones as you gather. You'll lift His name as you recall the many ways He has carried your family this past year. As you name your blessings one by one, your spirit will be lifted and your burden will be lightened.

Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise:
give thanks to Him and praise His name.
For the Lord is good and His love endures forever:
His faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100:4-5 NIV

As I gather with my family tomorrow, I'll be thankful for many things this year; one of them, the blessing of writing My Little Corner. I truly appreciate those of you who read each week and comment whether it's on the blog or on Facebook. You lift my spirit with encouragement and for that I'm thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Cindy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these wonderful thoughts, Cindy! Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kendra! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I'm thankful for you and your beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete

Labels