A couple of weeks ago, she wrote a story about friendship that made me think. She said this in the article, "Best friendship is like grace...a gift, free and clear. And every day is your birthday."
|Nancy-Bottom Right; Me-Right Standing|
When I moved away from home, I made other lasting friendships. Early in my marriage, there was Mary Beth and Debbie. Each of them taught me valuable lessons and we remain friends. They were there for me through years of infertility. Living in my husband's hometown was difficult in the beginning and yet, they made me feel welcome. Seeing them is like seeing a long lost sister. And of course, my sister-in-law Judy, has and always will be my dearest friend.
There are certain qualities in a friend that come to mind and I thought I'd share those with you. Hopefully, you're as blessed as I have been.
1. A friend will listen first, ask questions only when you're ready to talk.
2. A friend will pray for you and send you scripture text messages.
3. A friend remembers the important days in your life.
4. A friend knows the things about you that trigger sadness...and joy.
5. A friend loves you through every season of your life. She understands your "crankiness from not enough sleep due to being up with babies" through the season of "no sleep due to worry over your children as adults."
6. A friend will tell you you're beautiful, even when you look like yesterday's leftovers.
7. A true friend won't turn their back on you when you disagree on something. They will talk it out, and if forgiveness is needed, they are eager to restore the friendship.
8. A friend knows your favorite foods and brings them when you're sick or sad or just had a very bad day.
9. A true friend cheers your successes...and is there to pick you up in your failures.
10. A friend will let you cry on her shoulder.
11. A friend will always want to do the right thing for you.
12. A forever friend is one you can pick up your conversation with like you just chatted yesterday.
I'm so thankful for my friends, both then and now. God has blessed me with lovely women whom I can trust and who love me for who I am. They encourage me and support me through word and deed. I also love how He's given women of all ages, some older, some younger, to walk this journey with me...what wisdom they've shared and the fun we've had.
Someone told me once, "if you find one good friend, you've found a treasure." I'd say I have a treasure chest of gold, if that statement is true.
The friends I now share my daily life with are the truest kind. They know how to make me laugh till my sides ache. They pray for me and my family and love me unconditionally. They know I'm addicted to chocolate and lattes. They know I love cats and hot tea and flowers. They know this has been the most difficult year of my life and the best year of my life at the same time. They cry with me and have coffee with me and go to writing conferences with me. They send me text messages at the precise time I need them most. Can you tell I have the BEST friends on the planet?
I can't possibly list their names because I would leave someone out and that would break her heart and mine. They know who they are and how much I love them.
I hope you have one friend who loves you unconditionally. My husband always told our children, "to have a friend, you must be a friend." Life would be so lonely without the companionship of female friends.
|Me and Nancy-2012|
Friendship...it really is like grace...a gift. Most of us don't deserve the friends we have but we have them anyway. Treasure them and through the fires of life they will become refined. My friendships have become like pure gold to me...more precious as the years have passed.
Who came to mind as you read this post today? Give them a call and let them know you value your relationship.
To my friends then...and now...you are always in my heart!
Blessings from My Little Corner,