Thursday, January 30, 2014

When the Ocean Becomes a River of Inspiration

I spent last week at the beach in a condo, with only my memories, my laptop and chocolate...and I guess you could add coffee to that list.

I was working on my book and needed seclusion and quiet to complete it. I needed to be able to escape the daily activities that require my attention like laundry, cooking and cleaning, a high maintenance dog, and my own busyness.

Going away to someone else's place freed me to concentrate on the task in front of me, and remove any chance of doing business as usual.

On Sunday after church, following a busy weekend, I got in my car and drove five hours, arriving just in time for Downton Abbey. I settled in and savored every moment. The television wasn't turned on the remainder of the week.

Sleep came easily as I allowed exhaustion to take over.

Monday morning arrived at 5:30 a.m., and with no sugar in the house, tea would have to wait. Since no one knew me, I didn't care that my hair wasn't brushed and the mascara had worn off. I don't wear any other makeup so that wasn't an issue. I slipped on jeans and a sweatshirt and off to the grocery store I went. I didn't even brush my teeth–must be the rebel in me.

After tea was made, I had a few other writing tasks that needed to be accomplished before I could begin work on the book.

Have you ever had to do something and it took you forever to get started? That's what happened to me.

One of my friends texted me to ask how it was going, and I told her, "I've done everything but fix the garbage disposal. I just can't get started on the book." She's a writer friend, so she knew exactly what I was talking about.

I finally sat down down at 3 p.m. after everything else was done. I read a little of the "back story" and the words came. They began to flow like a river. I wrote well into the evening. I didn't want to stop because I was afraid the river would dry up, but it didn't. I finished what I set out  to do on Friday afternoon.

Sometimes, God has to do His greatest work in us, and for us when He has us all to Himself...no distractions.

My time alone in that condo is one of the most sacred weeks of my life. I found I need very little to truly be happy. I also found that even when I'm alone, I'm never really alone. My constant companion was there the whole time.

There was something peaceful about staring at the beauty of the waves crashing to the shore. The serenity of that place kept my mind focused and the solitude allowed the One who knows my story better than me to write it through me as He helped me remember.

He may even need a byline...if my story ever gets published. If not, He and I had the most beautiful week together...my Creator and me.

Blessings from My Little Corner,
Cindy

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sounds so productive in more ways than one. Praying for God's work to be done in and through you and your writing. May all the pieces fit into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tammy! Yes, it was productive on many levels. I'd been planning the week for several months and it was everything I hoped it would be. Even the timing of it was God's perfect timing. I realize not everyone can do that, but I would highly recommend it, if at all possible. Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Labels